Indian national sentenced for assaulting three women in New Zealand
![]() |
Image: IANS |
A 67-year-old Indian national, who assaulted three women on a beach in New Zealand on the pretext of taking photographs with them, was ordered to pay NZ$3,000 to his victims today.
Jawahar Singh had previously pleaded guilty to three charges of indecent assault and one charge of an indecent act, relating to three incidents at the Tahunanui beach in Nelson, a local news website reported.
At the Nelson District Court on Monday, Judge Jo Rielly said Singh has brought shame upon himself and upon his son, who he had been visiting in New Zealand.
“Singh was convicted and sentenced to pay NZ$1,000 in emotional harm reparations to each of his three victims,” the website reported.
According to the police summary of facts provided to the local news website, on Sept 28, a woman was walking her dog along the beach at around 9.15 a.m. when Singh approached her for a photograph with him.
When the woman took Singh’s phone to photograph him, he tried to get close to her, despite being warned by the victim, the website reported.
On Sept 30, he approached the second victim on the beach at 8.45 a.m. requesting a selfie with her.
After taking a picture with her, Singh physically assaulted her, the report said.
While the second victim managed to get away from Singh, he accosted the third victim on Oct 1 who was collecting rubbish along the beach.
The woman pushed Singh away and said he could take a selfie with one arm around her. He tried to assault her as well but she escaped and hid in the bushes.
During interrogation, Singh told police that he “met females at the beach but didn’t speak to them”.
Judge Rielly said the women were affected to varying degrees, and were left feeling “angry, rattled and scared”.
“For one, it has significantly impacted their feeling of safety in the community,” said Rielly as per the website.
Singh’s lawyer, Tony Bamford, presented a letter at the court, confirming the 190 hours of community work he had undertaken at an animal welfare organisation in New Zealand.
Rielly said Singh’s son had organised counselling for him on his return to India, and that he accepted it was no longer appropriate for his father to remain in New Zealand.
Singh, who is supposed to leave for India on Dec 19, was given credit for his remorse, his community work and for his early guilty plea.
The judge accepted that he was remorseful after having read “carefully worded” letters of apology to each of the three victims.
(Source: IANS)
-Edited for style
Your privacy
By clicking “Accept all cookies”, you agree Gujarat Samachar can store cookies on your device and disclose information in accordance with our Cookie Policy