India suspects pro-Khalistan role in theft of Gandhi statue in Melbourne

India on Tuesday strongly protested the theft of a bronze statue of Mahatma Gandhi in Melbourne, raising concerns over the possible involvement of pro-Khalistani factions, who had attempted to vandalise the statue at the time of its inauguration in 2021.
According to Australian media reports, the 426 kg bronze statue was stolen from the Australian Indian Community Centre in Rowville, a suburb of Melbourne, in the early hours of January 12.
The statue was allegedly cut down using a grinder, leaving only a portion of Gandhi’s feet at the site.
India’s Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) condemned the vandalism and said the matter had been taken up strongly with Australian authorities.
MEA spokesperson Randhir Jaiswal said India “strongly condemns the removal of the statue of Mahatma Gandhi by unknown persons” and has demanded immediate action, including the identification and arrest of those responsible.
While investigations are ongoing, suspicion has been directed at pro-Khalistan groups, which had earlier opposed the installation of the statue and had attempted to vandalise it during its inauguration in 2021. Officials noted that such incidents form part of a pattern of targeting symbols associated with India abroad.
The statue was gifted by the Indian Council for Cultural Relations and was inaugurated by the then Australian prime minister Scott Morrison in 2021. It is widely regarded as a symbol of the strong cultural and diplomatic ties between India and Australia.
On September 29, 2025, a statue of Mahatma Gandhi at Tavistock Square in London was vandalised, just days ahead of Gandhi’s birth anniversary. That statue was unveiled in 1968.

