Man drives car into crowd in Italy, 8 injured

Updated: May 17th, 2026

Google News
Google News

A 31-year-old man, Salim El Koudri, an Italian man of Moroccan descent, drove his car into pedestrians in the city of north Italy on Saturday, injuring eight people, as per reports.

Officials reportedly said that four of the injured are in serious condition. One woman suffered severe leg injuries after both of her legs were crushed in the accident. 

The incident happened around 4.30 pm on Via Emilia, near the famous cathedral of Modena. Witnesses reportedly said the car suddenly accelerated and moved towards the pavement at a very high speed before crashing into a shop window. After the car stopped, the driver came out holding a knife and tried to run away. During the escape, he injured a passerby who chased him. Locals later helped restrain the suspect until police arrived.

As per reports, authorities said five women and three men were injured in the attack. Emergency teams rushed the victims to nearby hospitals for treatment while police secured the area and began their investigation.

At a press conference, officials reportedly said the suspect had been referred to a mental health centre in 2022 because of Schizoid personality disorder but later disappeared from the treatment. 

Police continue to investigate the motive behind attack. Modena Mayor Massimo Mezzetti reportedly said that the driver appeared to have deliberately driven onto the pavement and hit several people before crashing. 

Google News
Google News