King Charles says ‘law must take its course’ after Prince Andrew arrest

Updated: Feb 19th, 2026

Google News
Google News

Britain’s King Charles III on Thursday said the law must take its course after his younger brother, Prince Andrew, was arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office.

Prince Andrew, also known as Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, was taken into custody early in the morning at his residence at Wood Farm on the Sandringham estate in Norfolk, according to media reports.

In a statement, King Charles III, who had stripped his younger brother Andrew of all royal titles and privileges in a history-making move last October, reportedly stated he had learnt with the deepest concern about the allegations of misconduct in public office against Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor and that the matter would now proceed through a full, fair and proper investigation by the appropriate authorities.

As per reports, he said, “In this, as I have said before, they have our full and wholehearted support and co-operation. Let me state clearly: the law must take its course. As this process continues, it would not be right for me to comment further on this matter. Meanwhile, my family and I will continue in our duty and service to you all.”

Earlier, Thames Valley Police confirmed that a man in his sixties from Norfolk had been arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office. The force said searches were being carried out at addresses in Berkshire and Norfolk but did not name the individual.

Media reports said six unmarked police vehicles and around eight plain-clothed officers arrived at Wood Farm on the Sandringham estate in eastern England earlier in the day.

The development follows allegations that Prince Andrew, the Duke of York, had passed confidential government documents to the late US financier Jeffrey Epstein. The claims are said to be linked to documents recently released by US authorities, which have renewed scrutiny of the Duke’s past associations.

Prince Andrew, the second son of the late Queen Elizabeth II, has consistently denied any wrongdoing in relation to Epstein. He has previously expressed regret over the friendship but maintained that he acted lawfully.

Senior members of the royal family were understood to be continuing with scheduled engagements, maintaining what aides described as a “business as usual” approach.

Google News
Google News