Air France, Airbus fined 2.25 lakh euros over 2009 Rio-Paris crash that killed 228 people

Updated: May 21st, 2026

Google News
Google News

Air France and aerospace manufacturer Airbus have each been reportedly ordered to pay fines of 225,000 euros in connection with the 2009 crash of Flight AF447, which killed all 228 people on board.

The fines, the maximum permitted for corporate manslaughter under French law, were imposed after an appeal process reopened the case following the companies’ earlier acquittal in 2023.

As per reports, a lower court had previously ruled that although errors had been made, there was insufficient evidence to establish that they directly caused the disaster. Both Air France and Airbus have consistently denied criminal liability.

Flight AF447, operated by an Airbus A330 aircraft, departed from Rio de Janeiro for Paris on June 1, 2009, carrying 216 passengers and 12 crew members.

While flying through stormy weather over the Atlantic Ocean, the aircraft’s pilots lost control and the plane crashed into the sea. There were no survivors.

The victims included 72 French nationals and 58 Brazilians, along with passengers from several other countries.

The original acquittal had triggered strong criticism from families of the victims, many of whom argued that the judgment failed to hold major aviation companies accountable.

Appeal hearings in the case began in September 2025 and were seen by relatives as a final opportunity to secure criminal convictions.

Central to the proceedings was the role of the aircraft’s pitot tubes, instruments used to measure airspeed.

Investigators found that the pitot probes became blocked by ice crystals during the flight, leading to inconsistent speed readings, cockpit alarms and disconnection of the autopilot system.

Technical experts told the court that the pilots subsequently placed the aircraft into a climb, causing it to stall before plunging into the Atlantic.

Lawyers representing the victims’ families argued that Airbus and Air France were already aware of recurring issues involving pitot tubes before the crash and had failed to adequately address the risks.

Prosecutors accused Airbus of underestimating the seriousness of repeated pitot tube malfunctions and failing to sufficiently warn airlines and crews.

Air France, meanwhile, was accused of not providing adequate pilot training for handling high-altitude emergencies involving pitot tube icing.

Prosecutor Agnes Labreuil had earlier said the prosecution would seek to overturn the acquittal and secure convictions against both companies.

Another prosecutor, Rodolphe Juy-Birmann, criticised the companies’ conduct during the lengthy legal battle, accusing them of failing to show sincere remorse toward victims’ families.

Airbus and Air France maintained throughout the proceedings that pilot error remained the decisive factor behind the crash.

Lawyers representing both companies acknowledged the scale of the tragedy but argued that the evidence did not justify criminal convictions.

Google News
Google News